Kalahari-Oranje Museum

Kalahari-Oranje Museum

This museum is housed in buildings built by Reverend Schröder in 1875 as a church and mission station.

The venue comprises simple whitewashed buildings that also hold displays on agriculture and local history, as well as collections of minerals and artifacts used by the San. The museum is home to a life-sized statue of a donkey sculptured in bronze by Hennie Potgieter. It represents the unselfish contribution made by the donkey in developing the Lower Orange River Valley during the pioneer days.

This Northern Cape museum was founded in 1884 on the banks of the Orange River. Originally the town was called Olyfenhoudtsdrif due to the large olive wood trees in the area, and later it was renamed after Sir Thomas Upington, Attorney-General and then Prime Minister of the Cape.

Date: Weekdays

Time: 9am to 5pm


Venue address: 4 Short St, Upington

View map

Wheelchair accessibility: Unknown


Tel: 054 331 2640