The museum consists of the original house in which S.J.P. Kruger, President of the old Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek (ZAR), and his family lived during the last years of the 19th century; as well as two display halls, and President Kruger’s State Railway Coach.
The home, built in 1884, has been refurbished to reflect the time when the Kruger and his wife Gezina lived there. International admiration for Paul Kruger and the struggle for freedom from the British, his journey to Europe, and his exile, are illustrated in the exhibitions.
Adjacent to the Kruger Museum is the former Bantu Commissioner’s Office Building, erected in 1932 on the same site as the old Native Pass Office. The people of Tshwane and environs remember the building as ‘gaMohle’. Its history of enforcing the Pass Laws date back to 1896, when Paul Kruger’s government used the site for its police headquarters.