The NWU Gallery’s tagline is ‘developing the audience of the future’. As part of the North-West University, it consists of two gallery spaces. The NWU Gallery is a non-profit educational gallery with a diverse exhibition programme, lively cultural projects, and an established art collection.
The NWU takes pride in its collection: the largest historical and contemporary collection in the North West province. This was initiated in 1972 when some of the 66 artists that participated in the institution’s first art exhibition donated artworks to the university. The cataloguing of the NWU Art Collection has been completed under the custodianship of the NWU Gallery with the appointment of a full-time curator in 2006. The current art collection comprises of over 1200 artworks, including paintings, sculptures, graphic works and some examples of craft work.
Their second gallery, the NWU Botanical Garden Art Gallery, presents a platform where up-and-coming artists are given the opportunity to exhibit within a professional gallery environment. This launched in 2008 and is open during the summer season, as well as for smaller projects throughout the year.